Dramatic moment Ryanair passengers escape on emergency chute after mobile phone battery EXPLODED minutes before take-offAugust 1, 2018 2:00 pm
THIS is the dramatic moment panicked tourists on a Ryanair holiday jet to Ibiza exit via an emergency chute after a passenger’s mobile phone battery exploded and caught light as it was about to take off.
Holidaymakers could be seen falling over each other in a bid to get away from the aircraft as quickly as they could after the inflatable slide was activated.
The drama happened around 5.30pm this afternoon at Barcelona’s El Prat Airport as the packed plane prepared to take off for Ibiza.
No-one needed medical attention although some passengers are said to have suffered slight burns as they slid down the emergency chute.
Footage taken by onlookers and other passengers who had already left the aircraft showed the moments of tension sparked by the plane filling up with smoke.
Travellers were taken to the airport’s Terminal One while they waited to board another plane and their luggage transferred to the new flight.
Firefighters were not called upon to deal with the incident.
The unnamed passenger whose mobile caught light is said to be from New Zealand. The device is thought to have been in a suitcase in the hold above his seat.
A spokesman for Ryanair Spain said in an online statement: “The passengers of a flight from Barcelona to Ibiza were evacuated in an emergency at Barcelona’s El Prat Airport because of a fire in a mobile phone that was being charged with an external battery.
“All the passengers were evacuated from the aircraft in a safe way to the terminal and the cabin crew took charge of the device.
“Ryanair is working to organise a replacement plane to re-accomodate the passengers as fast as possible.”
SHOPPED TO COPS
Moment mum of yob who punched woman outside club marched him to cops
Woman escapes jail for taking 13-year-old boy’s virginity on kitchen floor
‘IT’S TABOO, BUT IT’LL KILL ME’
Mum has months to live after dismissing itchiness as thrush
Yob punches a woman unconscious outside Towie haunt Faces nightclub in Essex
First pic of Brit mum who died from one bite of bloody chicken on Greek hol
Thousands of disabled people could get benefits cash back after DWP payouts
One relieved passenger said: “Luckily it didn’t happen when we were already on the runway.
“We were just over 100 feet away from the docking bay when the device exploded and smoke began to come out.
“Fortunately I was in the first row and I opened the emergency door before the pilot activated the chute.
Another passenger named as Jordi Vilagut told a Catalan TV station the incident had caused the aircraft to fill with smoke and some flames.
He said the evacuation had been more like a “stampede” because of the cabin crew rushing to get passengers off the plane as soon as possible.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.
Categorised in: United Kingdom